It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The end of FCS/FBS
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:46 am 
UserName Retired

Divide might be coming, but which leagues will conquer?

Pretty interesting read.

Quote:
lot of people in Division I-A (FBS) football sat up and took notice last week when Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and SEC commissioner Mike Slive raised the possibility of expanding athletic scholarships to include "the full cost of attendance."

Delany and Slive, the two biggest powerbrokers in big-time college sports, said the time has come to consider giving athletes a stipend to cover incidental living expenses, something major academic scholarships already do.

Schools on the lower end of Division I-A, whose budgets are already deep in red ink as they try to keep up with the big boys, feared such a move would further widen the gap between the haves and the have-nots. They were concerned this was just the first shot across the bow in a process where the six BCS conferences will eventually break away and operate as a separate division in college football.

But you know who else noticed what Delany and Slive had to say last week? Guys like Charlie Cobb.

Cobb is the athletic director at Appalachian State University, one of the very best programs in Division I-AA (due to public confusion over the labels, we don't use the official NCAA designations FBS and FCS). The Mountaineers of Jerry Moore won three straight national championships from 2005-2007 and have led the nation in Division I-AA attendance (at 28,000-plus) three times in the last four years.

Post subject: Re: The end of FCS/FBS
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:23 pm 
All-Conference

There won't be a divide for a number of reasons. If they make the terrible decision to start paying players then the Haves will still be the Haves. I don't see the lower tier AQ schools going along with this scheme. The effect on the non-AQs will be minimal as we will continue to compete with one another over the same recruits as before.

The AQs also need the rest of FBS in a bad way. Every time the playoff topic comes up, some jackwagon idiot fan of an AQ school starts whining that they should just split off and form a "Super League" with only the AQ conferences. The problem with that is that schools like Vandy, Indiana, Ioaw St., etc. suddenly find themselves struggling to win more than 3 or 4 games a year and the truly elite schools will find 10 and 11 win seasons far more rare. Fans won't like or accept that drop and the pocketbook will suffer.