It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Official: Freeze to Ole Miss
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:32 pm 
UserName Retired

ASU lost their coach.

Word is that Freeze is now the head coach at Ole Miss. Guess Conque will have to coach agaiinst him again first game next year. ASU alums couldn't come up with that kind of cash I guess.

Post subject: Re: Official: Freeze to Ole Miss
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:33 pm 
All-Conference

ASU came up with $500-$600K which is about all I expect us to offer ANYONE. If we even had the ability to pay what Ole Miss pays we would be stupid paying a guy that in the Sun Belt. We could have ended up like MTSU who overpaid Stockstill to keep him from the Memphis job and now they are 2-10 and can't buy him out for years.

Probably won't happen but I would like to see Conque considered for the ASU job. He could take all the talent returning on offense and do something right away.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:08 pm 
Starter

Crump1 wrote:
Probably won't happen but I would like to see Conque considered for the ASU job. He could take all the talent returning on offense and do something right away.

He turned down the ULL job to stay at UCA years ago, let's hope he has the same opinion of the ASU job (if ASU pursued him). He's left a lot of other jobs on the table over the years to continue to build the UCA program. We've been very lucky.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:02 pm 
All-Conference

How long ago was that? He also tried for jobs at Illnois St. and LSU recently. Like I said, I doubt they make a run at him but it is a step up and as I've recently observed, that makes a difference to some.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:24 pm 
Starter

Crump1 wrote:
How long ago was that?

2004, I think. He could have had the ISU job, and he's said there have been a lot of other opportunities that we don't know about. I don't know exactly why he stays every year, but we're happy he does. Stability and pride in a program he took over as a poor D2 team and made into a FCS contender seems to keep him in Conway. Another few years would be nice.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:02 pm 
Starter

I take that back. I think ULL was 2003, and SFA was 2004. ISU was 2008. People throw around his name every time LaTech, ASU, ULL, ULM or Memphis opens up. Yahoo lists him as a candidate for Memphis now:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-college_football_coaching_changes_120011