It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: West Georgia name change
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:57 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Since it is slow around here today, does anyone have any thoughts about WG bowing to the PC gods and losing their nickname?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/0705/10state.html

West Georgia Dropping Braves Mascot
By D. Orlando Ledbetter
Atlanta Journal-Constitution

West Georgia will play its last football season as the Braves this fall. The school hopes to have a new logo and mascot by December.

"I feel very compassionate [toward] the alumni at West Georgia that for years have been the West Georgia Braves," coach Mike Ledford said. "I hate that the circumstances forced our university to change our name, as they have at many other universities."

The controversial use of Native American nicknames and mascots led the NCAA to order 30 schools throughout Division I, II and III to assess their practices and file reports by May 1.

West Georgia's Athletic Marketing Identity Task Force has its list of possibilities down to eight names: Bravehawks, Cardinals, Fire Birds, Fire Hawks, Mustangs, Patriots, Power and Redhawks. Fans can vote for their choice online at http://mascot.westga.edu/

"Hopefully, we are going to come up with a really nice mascot that everyone can embrace," Ledford said. "In a few years it will be as much a part of West Georgia as the Braves have been."

-------------------------------------------------------------
I hope 10-20 years down the road we don't have to change our name to the 'Purple People' just because we have an animal as a mascot, and PETA gets overly excited.

I voted for Bravehawks, just to keep Brave in their nickname, no matter if it fits or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:44 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I voted for the BraveHawks as well, thats just wicked sweet name! I'd like to see what mascot looked like!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:23 am 
Practice Squad

i think it's sad teams have gotta change their names... it's not like West Georgia degraded Indians in anyway... the logo was just an arrow and to my knowledge they don't have a mascot... so I think Braves was perfectly fine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:08 am 
Two-Time All-American

It's all politics these days...Everyone always has to put their 2 cents in and that's why things are the way they are in society today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:18 pm 
All-Conference

Being a Native American from Oklahoma, I don't see the big deal about school mascots that supposedly degrade Indians. Braves is one of the few that no one should find offensive. Redskins is questionable but if you look at some of the schools in Oklahoma they have the NSU Redmen so it is just politics like 913 boy said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:30 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I know the Seminole Tribe in Florida has given Florida State its' blessings time and time and time again over the years. I'm not sure the NCAA has gone after FSU though.