It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: st edwards sweep
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:03 pm 
Redshirt

ok folks, new to this message board stuff but thought I would give it a go and see what happens.

For those of you who couldnt make the jog to Austin, Tx over the weekend, here's a report. After watching three games, I'm not sure St Ed's deserved their pre-season ranking (CBA poll DII 24th?). They got some guys who can hit the ball but pitching and defense didnt look like a ranked team. Still, they played two tough games in a cold wind against the Bears and lost them both to a team with better pitching, defense, and hitting. And, they lost to a team with more heart. The third game of the series, the Hilltopper's laid down and died on the field and before it was over the hogs (Bears) came out and ate them. Whitaker and Jackson are as good as anybody Ive seen in the DII ranks. Barnett missed his start, not sure why. Chris Houck pounded the ball all weekend and led the attack, but there's a bunch of Bears who can hit the ball and will compete
well in the box. Solid defense all weekend in real tough conditions. I'm thinking this team will compete well in the GSC West. Darkhorse? Youbetcha. Another series or two like this one and I may put my money on them.

Anybody got a report on UAM? A 9-0 start, two W's over DI Nicholls State, with players from all over and distant shores, are they the team to beat? Coaches pole was a unanimous Delta St #1 but that may have just been habit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:10 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

that is a great recap of the weekend to say the least! Great job and welcome to the board!

I am almost postive Delta likely deserves the spot they get every preseason, they usually back it up year in and year out. UCA was the only other West division school to receive a 1st place vote, not even SAU got one of those. We were picked to finish 3rd, but got the only other 1st place vote that Delta did not get.

I too am kinda shocked about UAM's 2 wins over Nicholls, I bet someone on here can fill us in on how good or bad Nicholls is year in and year out to get a feel for them.

I think, we will finish 2nd behind Delta, HOWEVER, that series with Delta is in Conway this year, and if we take that, I'll gladly switch my prediction and eat my salted roasted crow to boot....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:43 pm 
UserName Retired

I just checked out Delta's season thus far and it hasn't been impressive just yet.

A loss to NAIA Belhaven (midweek game; Belhaven is unranked but 4-1).
And then to West Florida (the won the series though)

The new baseball poll from Collegiate Baseball should come out today I think. I wouldn't imaging that DSU will be at #1 anymore, but who knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:49 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I was talking with some baseball officials at UCA and they told me that DSU was going to be considerable down this season! If UCA keeps winning like they are doing, it would not surprise me if they win the GSC this season

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:00 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

when they tell you "considerably down this season" exactly what does that mean though?

Delta has been in every GSC baseball tournament since 1994...and going back to 1990, they have only missed the GSC Tournament twice. In that time they have won 6 titles.

So when they say they are down, does that mean they dont think Delta will go to the tournament, or do they just mean Delta will likely not run away with it as much as they have in the past?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:50 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Sorry I didnt mean to be misunderstood, basically they just meant that they won't run away with conference like they have in the past. Teams such as UCA will be able to compete with them this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:55 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

good deal! I think we will too! We're off to a good start ...and now we're ranked, good times ahead.

http://www.ucafans.com/baseball/polls.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:59 pm 
UserName Retired

I find it odd that we are ranked and UAM is not even getting any votes??? But hey, I'll take it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:46 pm 
UserName Retired

Good point. And one-loss OBU is even receiving votes...

(and UNA for that matter, but they were ranked last time. Apparenlty someone is still holding on even though they have 3 losses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:08 am 
Redshirt

What are we ranked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:43 am 
Two-Time All-American

We currently sit 20th